Sister M. Columba of the Franciscan Order, photographed with local nuns and children, in Kampalla, Uganda, on a Mission in 1931.
The Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa was later founded in 1952 by Mother Kevin, formerly Teresa Kearney, from Knockenrahan, Arklow, Co Wicklow. She made her first trip to Uganda in 1902, when Uganda was still a British protectorate. Mother Kevin was responsible for the establishment of a range of services and institutions in Uganda, including the Buluba and Nyenga centres for the treatment of Leprosy. The Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa remain active today.